Monday, July 15, 2013

Rev. C.L. Bryant Talks Race, Zimmerman Verdict

I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Rev. C.L. Bryant for a few years now. Instantly, when we met, I knew that I respected him. Rev. Bryant is a commanding presence and he’s extremely personable.

A couple of years back, I was given the honor of speaking at the Greater New Orleans Tea Party’s Anti-Tax Rally. Also on the agenda was Rev. Bryant. While I had heard the name “C.L. Bryant” before, I never had the pleasure of speaking to him in person or hearing him speak to a group.
After I spoke and talked about the Mayor of Kenner's failed attempt to double property taxes, Rev. Bryant took that stage and gave a riveting speech about International, National and State issues.

After he finished speaking, I told C.L. that I was grateful that the GNOTP organizers had the foresight to ask me to speak BEFORE him as it would have been a huge letdown for the group if I followed him. We laughed, although I was being serious.
I’m pretty good at public speaking but I’m no C.L. Bryant. I don’t even know if I’m really qualified to be his warm up act.

Since that day in April 2011, I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with and hearing Rev. Bryant speak several more times and watching his movie, “The Runaway Slave”. While I respected Rev. Bryant immediately, my respect has grown considerably since we met.
Well, this morning on “The Ken & Bernie Show” on KPEL 96.5fm in Acadiana, I was Rev. Bryant’s opening act again.

Rev. Bryant was in Orlando at the NAACP Convention and he took time out of his day to speak with Ken Romero and Bernadette Lee about race and the George Zimmerman verdict.
With the rampant speculation that the Federal Justice Department is considering their own charges against Zimmerman, Rev. Bryant had some interesting thoughts about the not guilty verdict.

“There was almost no way that they (the Jury) would come back with a ‘guilty’ verdict,” Bryant said. “This was a self-defense issue.”
Commenting about Race, Rev. Bryant echoed the thoughts of many.

“Nobody would have known about this,” if Zimmerman was Black.
Rev. Bryant was also asked about President Obama attempting to politicize this sad event.

Regardless of who is President “When you as the leader of the free world would insert yourself into a local issue, it is going to have far reaching implications,” Rev. Bryant said.
No matter where you fall in the Zimmerman verdict debate, you can’t help but respect Rev. Bryant’s opinions.

If you are ever lucky enough to hear him speak, I’m sure that you’ll join me in respecting a lot more than just his opinions.
Here’s a link to the entire interview. It’s well worth 8 minutes of your time.